Sunday, December 14, 2014

My First Encounter with the Hurdles

When I was first introduced to the hurdles I was just a freshman in high-school. I had previously ran track in grammar school, but I was more so a sprinter, so I thought I would continue down that path as being a sprinter in high-school as well. But little did I know that things were about to change.
The week before track tryouts there posters all around the school telling people to come and try out for the team. A couple of my friends and I had talked about trying out together at lunch everyday. I couldn’t wait for Monday of the next week to come, I was so anxious.
Monday had finally came and of course since try outs were after school all of my classes that day went by extremely slow. But when school was finally over and try outs had started I was well prepared and ready.

The head coach had started to break people into different groups, mostly off of how they looked. He put all of the previous athletes together and then began to break up all the fresh meat. As he was going down the line telling people where to go I couldn’t help but think that I would go with the fellow sprinters. Boy was I wrong. When coach had approached me and told me to go with the hurdlers I felt as if my high-school track and field career was over before it had even began…

No comments:

Post a Comment